Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
Huawei Mate 10 Pro is launched in November 2017. This flagship smartphone features HiSilicon Kirin 970 chipset. Its OLED screen size is 6 inches with 18:9 screen to body ratio. The resolution of the Huawei Mate 10 Pro display is 1080 x 2160 pixels, which ensure clear and sharp image. If you are a gamer, go for this device.
Both its battery cover and the display is made of Corning Gorilla glass with an aluminum frame running around the sides. The Huawei Mate 10 pro display doesn’t curve around the sides like the Samsung Galaxy S8’s, but its side bezels are still impressively slim. Although the handset is well-built, waterproof and solid, it can get broken if you don’t take good care of it. Today we’ll talk about everything about the Huawei Mate 10 pro screen replacement.
Huawei Mate 10 Pro screen problems (Not common):
- Unresponsive Touchscreen
2. Screen Flickering
3. Defect Backlight.
Solutions to Huawei Mate 10 Pro screen issues:
A. Wipe cache
Try to wipe the cache partition to see if it makes a difference. Turn off your phone, press and hold the volume up and the power button together. Keep holding the keys when the Huawei logo appears. As soon as the screen turns black, release the keys. Wait for several seconds, you’ll see EMUI on the screen. That means you’ve reached the recovery mode. Press volume down button to select “Wipe cache partition” and press power button to confirm.
B. Reconnect the screen
In some cases, the problem of the touchscreen and the display is caused by overheating. We can open the back cover and disconnect the battery from the motherboard for a while. Then reconnect the battery and check whether the problem solved.
C. Replace the defect screen
In most cases, the problems are caused by the defect of screen flex cable. Breakage of the flex cable will cause a short circuit and open circuit. We have to disassemble the device and check out whether the LCD ribbon got burned by overheat. And although the Mate 10 Pro display uses a Corning Gorilla Glass protection, its display still could be cracked if we drop it onto the ground accidentally.
How to Replace the Huawei Mate 10 Pro Screen?
A broken Mate 10 pro display is not included in Huawei warranty. Today, we’ll show you how to repair the cracked Huawei Mate 10 Pro display on your own.
Step 1 Remove the Huawei Mate 10 Pro back glass
Power off the phone and remove the SIM card tray first.
- Heat up the edges of the battery cover at 120℃ for 2 minutes.
- Pull the back glass with a suction cup. Insert a plastic card when there is a small gap.
- Insert a guitar pick and cut the adhesive below the battery cover.
- Undo a Phillips screw near the fingerprint scanner ribbon, pry off the protective bracket and remove the battery cover.
Step 2 Remove the motherboard
- Undo the 7 Phillips screws on the motherboard.
- Pry off the motherboard protective bracket.
- Disconnect the charging port ribbon, LCD screen ribbon, power button ribbon, antenna and the front camera ribbon.
- There is a clip on the right down corner of the motherboard. Pry up the clip and then we can take out the motherboard.
Step 3 Remove the charging port flex cable and the battery
- Undo the 6 Phillips screws near the loudspeaker
- Disconnect and pry up the USB port flex cable.
- Be careful of the screen flex cable and the power button flex cable. It is quite difficult to insert the plastic card in the frame corners.
- To remove the battery, we need to insert several plastic cards below the battery. The battery adhesive is very strong. So be patient.
Step 4 Remove the microphone board and the loudspeaker
- Disconnect the signal cable.
- Disconnect the loudspeaker connector
- Remove the microphone board
- Pry off the loudspeaker with a pair of metal tweezers.
Step 5 Pry off the screen cooling film and the light sensors
- Locations of the screen cooling film and the light sensors
- Pry off the screen cooling film and the light sensors
Step 6 Replace the Huawei Mate 10 Pro display
The Huawei Mate 10 pro display is very difficult to remove. The adhesive below the screen is extremely strong and can not melt down. That’s why this flagship smartphone is waterproof. And the frame will get scratched when you try to cut below the screen with a knife or something like that. The best way to remove the damaged screen is to smash it and pry off the glass piece by piece.
And don’t even think about repair only the front glass of Huawei Mate 10 pro. It’s even difficult. It needs profession machine and skills. And it’s not suitable for DIY.
It is difficult and perhaps dangerous to replace the Mate 10 pro display or front glass. So, it is recommended that you buy a Huawei Mate 10 Pro screen replacement with the frame. It makes the repair procedure easier and safer.
Step 7 Test the new Huawei Mate 10 pro display
- To test the new display, what we need is only the Huawei Mate 10 Pro battery, the motherboard, and the display. Connect them together.
- Power on the phone, see whether the display is perfect. And then drag an icon all over the screen and see if the touch sensors are working normally.
- If the test passed, separate the battery, the motherboard, and the display.
- Before testing, don’t paste the battery adhesive and the screen adhesive. If you got a Huawei mate 10 pro screen replacement with the frame which is mention above, you can pass the step of installing the display screen.
Step 8 Install the new screen (without the frame)
- Add some B-7000 glue on the screen frame.
- When installing the new screen onto the frame, watch out for the flex cable.
- Locations of the screen cooling film and the light sensors.
- Attach the cooling film and the light sensors onto the frame.
Step 9 Install the motherboard and the battery
- When installing the logic board, watch out for all the flex cables.
- Connect the screen ribbon, antenna, power button flex, and the front camera to the motherboard.
- Paste some battery adhesive on the frame.
- Install the battery and connect it to the logic board.
Step 10 Install the loudspeaker, the microphone board, and the USB port
- Put the loudspeaker in place.
- Insert the microphone board and connect the loudspeaker to it.
- Put back the USB port ribbon and connect it to the microphone board and the logic board.
- Cover the 2 protective brackets and put back 13 screws.
Step 11 Install the battery cover
- Eliminate the original battery cover adhesive.
- Paste the new battery cover adhesive.
- Connect the fingerprint reader ribbon to the logic board and put on a bracket and a Phillips screw.
- Stick the battery cover on the frame firmly. And the work is done!
How much does the Huawei Mate 10 Pro screen replacement cost?
Check out the prices of the phone parts and tools.
Huawei Mate 10 Pro screen replacement (with the frame)
Problems may occur after the Huawei Mate 10 Pro screen replacement
1. Touchscreen not working or black screen
- Ensure the flex cable is connected well.
- Do not pull the well-connected flex cable or press hard on the ribbon connector
- Check whether the ribbon is folded or broken
2. Screen bleeding/screen leakage
- Do not press the LCD and the backlight hard.
- Ensure the screws under the screen is well-placed, and would not stick up to the display.
- Ensure the screen is well fit to the frame.
Tips for Huawei Mate 10 Pro screen replacement
- Pay attention to the flex cables. They can get broken easily. Don’t pull or push on the flex cable too hard. If there are lines or colored spots on the screen, that means the screen ribbon got some breakages somewhere.
- It is suggested to buy a Huawei Mate 10 Pro screen replacement with the frame which is much easier for you to replace. It’s too difficult to separate the Huawei Mate 10 display with its frame.
- Put on a screen guard and a phone case.
- Don’t put your phone together with keys，screws and other sharp objects in your pocket.
For more detailed information, please watch the repair tutorial video of Huawei Mate 10 Pro screen replacement.